Alaska's Best Peppered Wild Salmon

This product is distributed by Trapper's Creek, Inc. Anchorage, Alaska; a company that has been in the smoked salmon business for over 20 years.

According to the distributor, the jerky is all natural, wild salmon from the 'icy fresh' Pacific waters. It is hand filleted, carefully seasoned, and slow smoked over cherry and alder wood. It is also kosher certified.

Let me first start with the disclaimer that I'm not really a fish person. I can generally take or leave most fish dishes and my natural inclination is to leave them. It's not that I dislike fish so much as it is that I would just generally pick other foods over it.

That being said; I found this jerky to be a perfectly pleasant snack. From the first bite, there is no doubt that this is salmon jerky. If you like salmon (particularly smoked salmon), then you'll like this jerky. The black pepper flavor is pretty subtle. Personally I would prefer it to be just a little more pronounced. It has a bit of saltiness and a definite smoky flavor which enhances the overall taste. The texture is excellent; not too soft; not too chewy. It holds together well and doesn't fall apart. It feels just slightly moist to the touch, but upon putting a piece in my mouth I realize the moisture is just on the surface as a result of marinade residue. The jerky is actually fairly dry (which, in my opinion is a very good thing in a fish jerky).

Overall this is a very good jerky. I'm giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars because of the mildness of the pepper flavor. It would be 5 out of 5 if they stepped up the pepper flavor just a bit.

Click here to purchase.