Dr. Pepper Beef Jerky from Butler's Smokehouse

Dr. Pepper beef jerky is made by Butler's Smokehouse of Stephenville, TX under license from Dr. Pepper. It is marinated in the original Dublin Dr. Pepper syrup (the cane sweetened recipe).

The texture of this jerky is fairly dry and very firm but not brittle. It does have a bit of surface moisture from the marinade but it doesn't leave residue on my fingers. In order to get a bite sized piece I have to either twist it off or rip it with my teeth. If you're looking for soft and tender then this is probably not the jerky for you. If however, you're in the mood for a longer chew that works your jaws a bit and keeps its flavor while you chew then read on.

The flavor is mildly sweet, and somewhat black peppery with a little salt and garlic flavor thrown in for good measure. Had I not known this was marinated in Dr. Pepper, I don't know if the flavor of the jerky would have tipped me off. The Dr. Pepper flavor is very subtle. I only pick it up occasionally and not with every piece. Since I'm not a huge Dr. Pepper fan this doesn't bother me in the least. Were I expecting a "straight from the bottle/can" flavor I may have been a bit disappointed. However, the flavor of the meat and spices make this a very good jerky on its own merits no matter the name. It's by no means a boring, run-of-the-mill jerky. The novelty alone is worth the price of admission!

My overall satisfaction with this jerky is high and I do find myself snacking on it regularly.

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Click here to purchase.