Cattaneo Bros. Honey Pineapple Turkey Jerky

This is a product of Cattaneo Bros., San Luis Obispo, CA; a company that has been in operation for 63 years as of this writing.

Cattaneo describes this jerky as 100% turkey breast (i.e., all white meat), sliced thin and marinated with Hawaiian pineapple juice and sweet tasting honey, then oven smoked; no preservatives. It is available in 1, 3, and 7 Oz. sizes. The 1 and 3 Oz. packages are non-resealable. We don't currently stock the 7 Oz. size and their web site doesn't state whether it comes in a resealable bag. I presume it does since all of their 7 Oz. beef jerkies are in resealable bags.

Upon opening the bag, I get the aroma of soy and pineapple. The jerky is dark and dry to the touch. It tears and chews easily. The consistency is better than most of the turkey jerkies I have had. In fact, it is closer to the texture of beef than it is to most turkeys (which is a definite plus in my book). The taste is that of quality smoked turkey; slightly salty, with a strong flavor of soy, pineapple, just a hint of honey, and a familiar spice I have yet to pin down. It is not at all what I was expecting, however I have very often found that turned out to be a good thing. I was expecting a very strong flavor of honey, pineapple, and turkey; probably overly sweet. Not only is it not overly sweet, but I would not categorize it as sweet at all. It's a really good combination of flavors with excellent texture.

If you judge this jerky on its attributes rather than its name, then it definitely comes out a winner. The only reason I'm giving it 4 stars rather than 5 is that the name does not adequately describe the jerky.

My overall satisfaction with this jerky is high. I finished the bag wanting more and that's probably the best indicator of all.

Click here to purchase.